We conduct research in areas critical to emerging issues in Education, Health and Public Services. Since inception, we have positioned ourselves with strong research focus. As a committed Research Institution we have consistently focused on solutions and scientific contributions to address the problems and challenges in the work we are engaged in.
Research at CESS is largely based on issues that are directly relevant to our vision, and at a broader level, on issues that have social relevance and impact. Substantial emphasis is placed on research that contributes to improve the quality of public school system, bring changes in governance of higher education, and improve public health and public services.
We believe in collaborative approach for all our work and join hands with Government, Public Institutions, NGOs and Industries to undertake meaningful research. We also facilitate scholars to pursue their research through our Research Centres in different disciplines and conduct capacity building workshops and seminars.
Our Focus Areas
We undertake research studies in diverse areas to contribute meaningful inputs and policy suggestions for improving quality in school education in the country. The major thrust areas of our research in School Education are:
- Branding of Public Schools
- Right to Education
- School Leadership
- Quality in Public School
- Teaching and Learning
- Developing Curriculum and Assessment
- Alternate Schooling
We carryout research on issues like quality, governance, financing, skill development and stakeholders expectations of higher education. The major thrust areas of our research are:
- Undergraduate Education
- Regulation and Governance of Higher Education
- Course Structure, Curriculum Development and Assessment
- Liberal Arts Education
- Pedagogical Practices and Innovation
- Accreditation, Rating and Ranking of Educational Institutions
- Skill Development and Employability
- Financing of Education
- Role of Technology
India Studies Unit
India Studies Unit (ISU) is an initiative for Interdisciplinary Research in CESS which is dedicated to work as a center that organises and facilitates research in the Social Sciences and Humanities to address issues related to Indian culture. ISU aims at generating and supporting a world-class research culture and functions with a vision toreinvigorate intellectual traditions which are rooted in Indian thoughts for the contemporary world. ISU works with the following goals to realise the stated vision.
- To build community of scholars who can produce knowledge about various aspects of Indian traditions.
- To develop theories, tools and methods to study Indian traditions.
- To produce relevant research publications for administrative use, policy advocacy and dissemination.
- In-house nurturing of doctoral and post-doctoral students
- Faculty internship programme: Academicians from different institutions will collaborate with ISU for their projects through internship programs where they will be mentored by senior scholars and develop collaborations for further research activities
- Faculty capacity building for select faculty members from various universities, specifically from Social Sciences and Humanities. This activity is meant to develop the capacities of young faculty who are passionate to build future generation of students to do scientific research
- To conduct workshops and short-term training programmes, in order to develop public intellectuals who will speak for Indian traditions which would facilitate a robust research climate
Bharatiya Management Thoughts and Practices
There is need to formulate and articulate a body of knowledge for Bharatiya Management. Bharatiya Management has at least the following three components for now:
- Management concepts/ideas/ constructs based on India's ancient wisdom i.e from texts such as the Vedas, Mahabharatha, Ramayayana, Vidhuraneeti and such texts.
- Management concepts/ practices/ case studies which are uniquely Indian even if contemporary.
- Research methodology that is uniquely Indian in construct.
We work towards evolving the concept and scope of Bharathiya Management from knowledge drawn from Indian Philosophy and Culture as well as from practices in the contemporary context that are unique to India.
The Institute proposes to explore and understand experiences in the field of public health and contributes for policy suggestions to have better delivery of public health services. It also focuses on indigenous perspectives in Indian Public Health Care system. The major thrust areas are:
- Health Policy and Health Care Delivery
- Social and behavioral determinants of Health
- Access to, and quality of, Public Health Care
- Health Care Innovations
- Indian System of Medicine (AYUSH)
Some of our recent Research Initiatives
A Study on Accreditation and Grading Patterns of NAAC
A Study on Branding the Government Schools: A Case Study Approach
A study to understand student’s perception and opinions on Indian Education System
Study on “Clause 135 of Companies Act Relating to CSR”
Analysis of Karnataka State University Bill 2017
Analysis of National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF)
Augmenting Employable Skills for BA Students as a part of Curriculum: A Study of Bangalore University
Research Centre in Management Studies
The Management Research Centre of the CESS is recognized by Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU), Belagavi, Karnataka. It extends professional guidance and assistance to research scholars in the area of Management Studies leading to a doctoral degree. The scholars are encouraged to take up inter-disciplinary research in various domains which aligns with the vision of CESS.
The Centre offers Ph.D. Program in Management discipline. We invite applications from highly motivated, research-oriented eligible candidates for admission into full time/part time Ph.D. Program. We also encourage professionals and people who are working in industries to apply for the doctoral program at our research centre.
For Admission please contact:
Mr. Gowrisha, Coordinator
Contact: 080-23182947, Mobile: 09900246239